Thursday, February 02, 2006

Alcohol = Marijuana

Today we had this all-school assembly. Remember those school assemblies? When some old fart would come in and ramble on and on and your ass would get so sore from sitting on the gym floor. You would stare bitterly at the teachers who got to sit on chairs. Well not anymore, they are not like that. Today I am informed we are having MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) come in... so I picture all these moms in their mom clothes and bad hair coming and preaching about the issue... wrong, in walks this hommie white-black guy wannabe, sets up three fricken huge screens, sound system etc and starts pumping out this horrendously loud music. The kids pile into the gym and this flashy movie with music videos, quick facts, a fly black dude narrator, and intense colours and flashing. I could hardly believe my eyes. My assemblies growing up were so out of date it was unbelievable... since when did people start getting with the times. When I plugged my ears because it was getting too loud I realized I am getting old. I mean I guess I am not that old, but I need to start looking for a real job. I also realized the days of going to bed at 3am for the past 31/2 years are impossible if I want to function for the rest of my life. That was a rude awakening. Teaching is wearing me out, and I need to go to bed by 10, 11 at the latest, and I am tired all fricken day. I am so worn out. Oh crap to the point of my assembly story --- at the end of the assembly this pretty fly for white guy is letting the kids ask questions. One kid asks why is alcohol bad - like what is it? So the he turns it around and asks the kids what is alcohol made of? This second grader puts up his hand and goes, I know, alcohol is made from marijuana. LOL. I could barely control myself. Okay that was the point of all my rambling.

Last weekend was amazing, well every weekend is amazing. I am having the time of my life here. Friday night we went to this little hotel bar called El Rancho. This band was playing called Subtle Groove. Awesome time. They are very Elliot Smith-ish, maybe a tad I dunno Dave Matthews, maybe not. But anyhow they were great fun. The lead singer is Cara's cooperating teachers husband. We ripped up the dance floor and had our first brews of the trip whooo hooO! Here is a link to the band if you are interesting in checking them out, very jazzy folky or something: http://www.myspace.com/subtlegroove .


This weekend proves to be another great one as we are heading to Durango, Colorado, to go skiing! That is the only thing that is getting me through this week. There is this awesome place about 45 min from there called Wolf Creek that apparently has great slopes, I can't wait. We also plan to hit Mesa Verde on the way back.

So its is time for me to call it quits. I need to sleep, I really don't want to... but I need to teach all day tomorrow. This is my first week of full teaching all by myself. Only three more to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe now you know how i feel (about going to bed on time)
remi says hi

Anonymous said...

i know, it's sad when reality hits and you can no longer live life as if you were in college. no more staying up late and dragging your ass through the day - well, there are days when i still drag my ass, but i'm at least getting to bed on time!
I hope that you are enjoying teaching, despite the tiring days! email me if you have any great ideas that i can steal from you, or if you need any too!

Jeffy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

i'll be sure to skip out on my mass amounts of stuff to be done to celebrate!