Sunday, January 22, 2006

On the rez...

Stundent teaching has proved to be an amazing and funny experience. More eye opening has been working at the after school program at this other school that is insanely more ghetto.

For example, most of the kids in the school live in homes that are insanely run down, if they are homes at all. Most likely a trailer, perhaps no running water, no bathrooms in the home, or electricity. Many of the classrooms are portibles, and there are stray dogs everywhere. There was even one in the school the other day, haha. Oh and we were walking to one of the portible and low and behold - stray horses. No joke, just walking around checking shit out.

The kids there are SOOOO BAD! Like I have never seen anything like it. Mostly because they have a bad home life. They are about two grade levels lower than they should be. Marie (NY) got peed on the other day by this little girl, haha. I was out on the playground with the kids, and they were throwing rocks at eachother, I said DO NOT throw rocks. Two seconds later I am pelted with rocks. Who would do that to a teacher? At least I am not in that school all the time, just twice a week after school. Two other teachers Caitlin (IL) and Sara (IL) have to deal with it every day.

HAHA, so Caitlin was teaching the other day and wanted to tell her class sit down, so she goes "sit down Indian style," hahahha, to a room full of Native students. I laugh every time I think about it. So funny. Opps eh.

I have begin to wonder what students motives are, and how their little brains work. Like a little girl who goes to me - oh your earings are so pretty (they are plain old studs). Or I like your shirt, it is really nice, you look so pretty today. At what age do today's kids learn manipluation? Are they trying to make me like them, are their minds distorted enought to think that? I dunno, it strikes me as funny. Last Wednesday night we were at this church dinner and one of my third grade students were there and he asked Ann (IA) on a date, hahaha. What was he thinking? Ann told him to come ask again when he turns 25 haha.

Sad story about a kid in my school. So he misses school once a week always, and the teacher couldn't figure it out. Finally she finds out he has to miss school once a week because there are not enough clothes for his siblings so they rotate taking turns missing school.

Now for a funny story. Marie's teacher (same school as me), was having her students write descriptive paragraphs about their classrooom. They brainstormed as many descriptive words at they could about shape, size, colour, feel etc. Well this little boy writes - my classroom has a blackboard it is green, my teacher is huge - hahah. She told Maire and I and we laughed so hard, almost to the point of rudeness but we couldn't stop (she is kinda large). The teacher had to hang it up because all of the other students paragraphs were up in the hall.


I really like my school. It is called Indian Hill Elementary. My principal was actually born in Winnipeg, and moved to Brandon when he was little. His last name is Donkersloot for the people who want to figure out who he is. The teachers are sooo friendly and nice. Easy to talk to and very welcoming. I play floor hockey once a week with my Principal, Cara (WA), and a bunch of male teachers from the highschool at Rehoboth. I must say I did do some wowing with my amazing floor hockey skills. :) Also my Principal has Canadian satalite so I can watch hockey at his place, which I have already done once.

I appologize for the extremely random and rambling thoughts above.
It is late, I am tired.


3 comments:

Jeffy said...

little kids are pure evil

Jonathan said...

That's amazing Mel.
Good work. I don't know if I could ever have your kind of patience and humour.

keep it up!

nokomis said...

i am inclined to agree with jeff on this one, but i am very impressed with you. you should make up some story about kids who were malformed by rock throwing...