Monday, January 02, 2006

Indian Country

Driving down the interstate staring out into red cliffs/mountains I was trying to decide whether I was nervous, scared, or indifferent to this new adventure I am embarking on. I was starting to go with indifferent until I read the signs along the highway advertising the town "Gallup, New Mexico - Indian Country." Now with a slogan like that who wouldn't want to be here.

Just off historic Route 66 I turned to my new home for the next two months. Rehoboth, a little Christian Reformed community set up in an almost Hutterite fashion. Just the buildings are older, and more randomly scattered about. To give you an idea - picture a rural Hutterite community, with the backdrop of red cliffs and not much vegitation, mixed in with an old western movie and lots of Indians. I don't know if that will do if for you but I tired. I will try and get some pictures up soon.

Rehoboth has about 1,000 acres that makes up the community, but 90% of it is backcountry. The rest is an elementary school, highschool, church, old dormitories, random buildings, and also many old houses (which I believe belong to the teachers and administration from the school). More exploring should happen tommorow.

As of now I am settled into my room. The first to arrive, of us 6 Dordt girls. I have managed to unpack and smush all my shit into my alotted closet space. Yes of course I brought too many clothes along. This next week should be lots of learing about the area, the Indians, and getting to know the school and our teachers.
I am not actually teaching here in the Christian school, but two miles away at Indain Hills Elemenatry.


Tommorow should be lots of exploring and learing. I was also delighted to find out that Tim (the guy in charge of us here) has three horses that I will be allowed to ride! It will be like my own western movie. I just gotta get me a gun and holster just in case I happen upon some bad guys.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First post heh .. nm

Sounds like an interesting time :-P Have fun, and keep blogging. It's always cool to catch up on whatever everyones doing these days. I was just remembering the great new years eve we had over here in LA last year.

ltr,
Chris

Kathlyn D said...

yay mel! you left too soon to get your package from me... SHOOT! make sure your mother sends it. it's cool reading blogs from people who actually have something to write.
i will miss you while i am in class with prof. vanwyk!

Anonymous said...

love it.
can't wait 'till the next one.
ethan and remi say hi auntie mel.