Friday, January 02, 2009

My handmade Christmas

I had decided to give all handmade gifts this year for Christmas and it ended up turning out great. My only exception were books. But come on, books are a great gift, and I purchased them at a small local bookstore.

So here is the breakdown:

For my dad - a handmade belt from a local saddle/shoe shop City Electric, as well as the book Uncle Ernies Guide to Old Time Rodeo. The book is written by a local guy who has done a lot of work with Tony Hillerman. My friend Chuck also did the layout of the book. The pictures in the book are these awesome watercolours also done by a local Navajo man.
For my brother and sister-in-law I got this print from local photographer and friend Chuck. Its a picture taken up in the Cibola national forest of some aspens in the snow. Totally awesome and it looks amazing in there purple and grey living room! (sorry for the glare of the flash in the photo)
My mom got books, books, books, and more books. Her favorite thing. Oh and whoops - pajamas. I didn't get those handmade :(
I also got my sister-in-law and her mom these awesome magnets from my friend Marcy @ Signs of My Life. She has her stuff up on ETSY - definitely worth checking out.
My aunt and my sister-in-law also got a set of these 4 handmade reusable grocery bags made by yours truly. They took forever but it was so rewarding when they were done. I was thinking about selling them... but then I'll have to find cheaper fabrics, cause after the time I spent and these fabrics there is no way I could make any money on them.
My niece got this 'bunting,' also made by moi. Its about three meters long and is hanging up in her playroom right now. She loved her 'flags.' My nephew got one of those towels with a hood. Made by one of my neighbours.
My principal and his wife got flatwear carriers made by a friend from college - Brielle of Pony Up Design (also on ETSY).
Overall it was so much fun making and looking for homemade gifts. I also had fun wrapping them in brown paper and all sorts of fun ribbons. I love Christmas and I love gift giving.

No comments: