Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Latest and Greatest Quotes of the Week

Seriously, one of the best things about teaching first grade is just talking and listening to the students. Getting into their little heads. Listening to their ideas. They are very impressionable, and also they believe anything, I mean ANYTHING, you say. Gotta love it.

This convo came right after Christmas vacation, after I had been back in Canada. I had nothing to do with where he got his ideas. He came up with this all on his own...
Student: I think that in Canada, dogs are so hungry that they eat little kids.
Teacher: Why would they be so hungry?
Student: Because no one feeds them.
Teacher: Why wouldn't they feed them?
Student: I think they don't like them.


During a spelling test...
Teacher: Number three. How do you spell boots. B-oo-ts. Miss Van Dorp is wearing boots.
Student: and fancy boots too.
Student 2: I like your boots.


I always have pencil sharpener problems in my classroom. This child is picking up on that.

Student: Are you gonna keep that new pencil sharpener?
Teacher: Nope, I was just borrowing it.
Student: Well I wish, I wish the whole school was full of pencil sharpeners swimming all over.
Teacher: I would love that.
Student: Then we could do whatever we wanted.
Teacher: What would you do?
Student: Chopper blades. Engines that blades. Bladle. Do you know what a bladle is? Its spins. Pshhhhhhhsshshhs. It has really. It has blades.

10 minutes later...

Student: That penicl sharpener there doesn't work?
Teacher: Nope
Student: Well how can you make it work.
Teacher: I can't, its broken.
Student: Well why don't you just buy a new one.
Teacher: Because I don't have any money.
Student: Well why don't you get a job that earns you some money.
Teacher: Yah? Like what kinds of job?
Student: I dunno, a Walmart job, all kinds of jobs. Buidling fences. Like being a cop. Being the job of a police man won't earn you money. But you can protect yourself.

2 comments:

nokomis said...

I agree. good quotes.

Amanda said...

hehe, kids are great!


hmm...your word verification word is "psyclut". it sounds like a dirty word... a dirty psychologists jargon word...